Sunday, February 17, 2008

Droplets

Photobucket

Droplets

I'm leaving you
I'm not sure if that’s what I should do
It hurts so bad
I'm wanting you but cant go back
Trying to find, to find
That all elusive peace of mind
Stuck here somehow
Shrouded beneath my fearAnd doubt, but I don’t need it

Cuz I'm walkin down this road alone
and figured all I'm thinking bout is you, is you my love
And my head is in a cloud of rain and the world it seems so far away
and I'm just waiting to fall
In droplets, droplets

You left a mark
I wear it proudly on my chest
Above my heart
To Remind me that I feel the best
When I'm with you
To me everything is effortless

You know its true
My eyes are painted with regret and I don’t need it
Cuz I'm walkin down this road alone and figured all I'm thinking bout is you,
is you my love
And my head is in a cloud of rain and the world it seems so far away
and I'm just waiting to fall and sink into your tears

You are like the raindrops, the raindrops falling down on me

You left a mark you left a mark
She left a mark he left
She left he left
And I don’t I don’tNeed it.

Colbie Caillat is by far my favorite artist. Not only are her melodies awesome, but the lyrics themselves are incredible. She finds ways to put into words what most people only attempt to. I have not found one song that I do not like because they all relate to some aspect of my life. I believe this is why she has become so popular because the songs are so simple yet incredibly meaningful at the same time. This song in particular is my favorite because it talks about having to let someone go that you don’t want to, but you know it has to be done for whatever reason it might be. Everything has a beginning, middle, and an end, but this song seems to be in the reverse order.

The first line IS the end because she says “I’m leaving you.” As the song progresses, it appears that the song is going backwards and forwards at the same time. The girl is at the end, but the guy wants to go anywhere EXCEPT the end. The first verse and chorus of the song are from the girl’s perspective. She is making the tough decision to leave her boyfriend because of he made an unknown mistake. When she says “trying to find that all elusive peace of mind, stuck here but somehow shrouded beneath my fear and doubt,” she wishes she could remember a time she was at peace with herself and more than likely her boyfriend. She can’t seem to find this peace because her fears and doubts about her boyfriend are keeping her from seeing it clearly. She wants to go back to the beginning, but simply cannot. The chorus is a metaphor about her not being grounded, but in the rain clouds. I believe the rain clouds also signify her elusiveness caused by her conflicting thoughts. “I’m just waiting to fall in droplets” indicates her tears.

The second verse is the guy talking back to his girlfriend, sung by Jason Reeves. He is clearly trying to convince her that she is the only one he wants and loves and wishes he could take her back to any place before this specific time. The second verse almost makes you forget that the song is about a bitter ending because it is so sweet. But let’s not get distracted! He knows he messed up and he is actually a very nice job sweet talking her. He is trying to convince her that they are good together and he deserves another chance. My favorite line is when he says “My eyes are painted with regret and I don’t need it.” He is looking at his girlfriend, knowing what he did and he wishes he could take it back, but he can’t. He can’t turn back the clock and change what he did, but he knows whatever he did is unforgivable to her.

The last line of the second chorus says “I’m just waiting fall and sink into your tears.” I believe this line means he is just waiting for the bottom to fall out of the relationship when she tells him that they are over. The ‘fall’ in the song is the fall from the rain clouds, but it can be translated to the fall back into reality: the reality that he has lost the love of his life because he messed up. It also signifies the fall back to the end. Back to where they were when she said “I’m leaving you.” The closing lines of the song are the couple going back and forth saying the other left a mark on them. The mark for the girl is a bad mark because she was hurt by her boyfriend. The mark on the guy was a good mark left by the girl he loves and he will never forget how he felt when they were together. Do you forgive and forget? How do you move on after a heart ache like this? This song illustrates the back and forth struggle that couples face when one person makes a bad decision. I think the group The Fray said it best when they sang, “Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same.”

No comments: